Who doesn't love a little bit of unicorn inspired colour in their lives! I love creating new colour combinations, and experimenting with different techniques; but these colours are unapologetically 'instagrammable'.... and I love them! I was inspired the other day to create an art batt which screamed summer, so I grabbed a bunch of bright and vibrant colours from my stash, and got to work! I wanted to maintain a lightness throughout the batt which is why I decided to offset the vibrancy with a natural white merino.
I used a variety of wool, primarily merino, with highlights of mulberry silk and sari silk fibre. I only carded the batt once (hence why it looks a little messy) because I wanted the yarn to be random and not too blended.
I spun the yarn into a random thick and thin single, putting plenty of twist in so I could ply it after. I wanted the single to have lots of texture so that when I plyed it, the coils, supercoils and spiral ply sections all had varying texture.
There seems to be everything going on in this art yarn! We've got coils, supercoils, spiral ply and all sorts of texture in between! I think this yarn would work really well as either extreme slubs in weaving, or a loosely knitted scarf. Either way I'm in love with this art yarn and I'm sure I'll be doing some more experimenting with these techniques soon!
I'm going on radio silence for a few weeks, I'm moving house so there won't be much time for spinning for a little bit... I assure you I will be desperate to get back to it once I've unpacked!
Until then loads of fibrey love
I had a free afternoon yesterday, the end of a hectic week essay writing, so decided to try a new art yarn technique... supercoils! I've seen some incredible photos online of supercoiled art yarn and for a long time have wanted to give it a go. So I set myself up outside in the sun with earl grey tea, The Guilty Feminist podcast and some hand-dyed merino fleece and got to work!
I started by making the fleece into simply core spun and then used a thin thread to ply. I wrapped the core around the thin thread and kept pushing the yarn up the thread to create this supercoiled art yarn.
I have to say I am thrilled with the result. It was challenging at times, especially when the ply thread very quickly became overtwisted! But I persisted with keeping it tensioned, and managed to get it all done in an afternoon.
Personally I am now calling this soundwave art yarn... don't you think it looks like little soundwaves... that might just be me! Anyway this was such a fun project and I can't wait to experiment more with this technique!